Monday, February 15, 2021

Community Partner Interview Series Introduction

 My name is Avery Gill. I’m a senior studying psychology and writing. This year I was hired to work at the Service-Learning Center (S-LC) as the communications coordinator. I was first introduced to the idea and practice of “service-learning” last fall while studying abroad in Budapest, Hungary. My semester director was Jeff Bouman, the former Director of the Service-Learning Center. In Budapest Jeff led our group through, what was for most, a very meaningful and impactful semester.

I’ll speak more about this experience in the next article, but I thought it was important to give some context before introducing this project. As the S-LC’s communications coordinator, my job this year is to tell the stories of local organizations in Grand Rapids that partner with our office. For many decades, the S-LC has been sending Calvin students out into the community to do some remarkable work. Many students have been touched by these experiences and many organizations have as well. For the next few months, I will be highlighting these stories through a series of blog posts. So, check in every now and again to hear some inspiring stories and to learn more about your community!


No comments: