Thursday, December 10, 2015

So Many Questions

I think that we are constantly thinking of questions throughout the day, week, month, year, etc. At least for me, I feel like most of my thoughts end with question marks—from simple, shallow questions to mind boggling questions that have been recently coming up that can probably only be answered by God. At times, this is frustrating, because I need answers, but not all problems have solutions.  

I tried to compile a list of some of the countless questions that pop up in my head. This may or may not be representative of the average female 20 year-old Korean college student from China who is attending a private Christian Reformed college in Grand Rapids:

What’s for dinner?
What happens when Jesus comes tonight?
Then my dinner won’t matter anymore, right?
Will I make it to heaven safe and sound?
Oh wait, do I have an exam this week?
What if I die young?
Will this exam really affect my life?
What do I even want to do when I grow up?
Should I graduate early?
Should I study abroad?
Should I drop out and open up a bar by a beach and provide counseling to my customers?
Why does time fly, yet 5 minutes feels like forever in class?
Why is the weekend so short?
Did God really choose who would go to heaven?
Then what’s the point?
Even so, should we care?
Why are some people so selfish?
What happens if I get deported?
Why is the sky blue?
How big is the universe?
Are we the only ones in the universe?
What if I am the only real person in my world and everything/everyone else is a figment of my imagination?
Should I watch a movie or start on my project?
How long can I survive without my phone?
Can I sneak in a nap today?
Why doesn’t God make himself visible and tangible so that we can have a conversation the same way I talk to my friend?
What is the function of cockroaches?
Will people notice my pimple?
How do people know when they are adults?
Do tyrants feel shame?
Did they have the potential to grow up to be good, but were nurtured the wrong way as a child?
Why do people fear the unknown?
Does my breath smell like pickles?
Will I be able to find a ride tomorrow?
Why do I feel like my life is constantly being chased by assignments, tests, and projects?
Are we meant to be living like this?
Will I concentrate better at a cafe?
Where should I live in the future?
What if I become homeless one day?
If our average lifespan was 40 years, would we be living differently?
Why am I so privileged?
How could I be blessed excessively, yet some individuals lack the basics, such as safe shelter?
Why don’t adults get summer vacation?
Why do I stress?
Why can’t people be more like me?
How can I be more humble?
Should I grow out my hair, or keep it short?
Why are some individuals such haters?
Would he have been able to say those words he wrote directly to the individual it was targeted towards?
When I get old, will I look back and say that I’ve lived a successful, fulfilling life?
Why am I writing these questions?
Why are you reading this?
Do you have questions, too?


 --Sarah Lee



No comments: