Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Week to Remember


Believe it or not, we are now three weeks post-spring break. It all seems to have gone so fast, and there are even times what I forget that it ever happened because it seems so short in the grand scheme of time. Hearing the stories and experiences of others has been wonderful, but I can’t help but feel that my trip was the best (doesn’t everyone think that, though?) I had originally thought I would spend this time talking about my experiencing with coordinating the trips, but I find myself instead drawn to talk about my own service-learning trip to New Mexico.

The “service” part of the trip was to promote higher education to Native American students: we visited many schools and talked with many students, but it is hard to know if our presentations actually sparked any interest in the possibility. For me, the “learning” part of the trip was exponential. I was blessed to see learn, see, and participate in some of the Navajo and Zuni traditions, language, and culture; see and hike the magnificent beauty of the landscape (three times!); and to hear individual stories of challenge, hope, and inspiration. No words can explain the incredible and dumb-founded awe I within for the entire 8-day trip and no number of pictures or stories can detail how life-changing the experience was.

Due to delayed flights, our group missed our last flight from Phoenix to Albuquerque on the first day. Instead, we (well, Noah) made the 5-hour drive to Gallup. This initial test of flexibility was one of the greatest things that could have happened for us. The drive was crowded, long, and a blast of making life-long friends. I probably will never forget listening and singing to Disney in the backseat with Alicia, getting pulled over by a Navajo cop, or trying to capture the “perfect” picture of a cactus.

And don’t even get me started on our group’s addiction to the card game Monopoly Deal… seriously… like, we still get together when we can just to play… it’s a problem.

So what did I learn? Well, here’s just a quick few points:
  • Berniz likes her Starbucks. Seriously. She would get it 24/7 if she could. And I’m not exaggerating.
  • New Mexico is beautiful! The colors, weather, and landscape just scream the glory of God’s creation. I wish I could sell my house and car, and just roam/hike its desert landscape for the rest of my life.
  • I don’t have to leave the United States to experience a new culture. Before spring break, I was sure that I would travel abroad and teach to teach in new cultures. It turns out that I don’t have to leave the United States for such an experience. Who knew? There is so much diversity and need here in the United States, whether it is acknowledged or not. We don’t need to travel abroad (and spend thousands of dollars) to have that eye-opening experience our society promotes. Now, I’m struggling because I have no idea whether God is calling me abroad or not. I’ll just have to wait and see where He takes me.
  • There are so many good people in this world. We spoke with dozens of people who have dedicated their lives to serving in a community with high need that pays less than other places. Their love, compassion, and dedication to community are wonderful stories of God’s active presence in our world. They are my idols!
  • I’ve made some incredible friends. You can’t experience something like these and not feel eternally connected to those who walked beside you in this process. In fact, we are currently planning a trip to Frederik Meijer Gardens, just for kicks and giggles. If nothing else, our addiction to Monopoly Deal will keep us together. Sam, Noah, Alicia, Berniz, Nikita, Tonisha: I love you all so much and I think of you as my family. Thank you for making this trip so great!
  • There is so much about Native American culture that is not being shared with the dominant society today. My sheltered little world seems to be shrinking relative to the diversity of the world around me. I had no idea that there were so many Native Americans around today, and I certainly had no knowledge of their culture. Guess what: just because they live on a reservation does not mean that they live in teepees! It’s sad that this was news to me.


So if it’s not clear yet, spring break was wonderful. Life-changing? Yes. Fun? You betcha. Challenging? Without a doubt. Would I do it again? Well, duh! As we drove away from Gallup, where we stayed, I assured myself that my experience was not over. I was not saying “good-bye” to New Mexico, but “see you later.” Someday I will return, whether that’s when I’m retired or in 1.5 years when I graduate. God’s hands were not with us on this trip. God was with us on this trip. 

-Nic



No comments: