Thursday, November 1, 2012

Where I Need to Be

Oh. My. PIZZA. This semester has just been choc-full of new and exciting experiences for me. From working two jobs to commuting 30 minutes one way to Calvin (and one of my jobs), I have found that I lose 49 hours of free/study time every two weeks than the average student living on-campus without a job. And that doesn't include volunteering at Butterworth's ER Department, getting ready for the MCAT, and maintaining a fraction of a social life. Throughout the chaos of each week, I've found that God is teaching me numerous things about myself:

1. I am not Superman! Although I wish that I could partake in joining every club and event I believe in, that is simply not feasible. I don't have to, and am simply incapable of doing everything. God doesn't expect me to do everything, and neither should I.

2. I LOVE PEOPLE! Because I have been so seriously indulged in my busy schedule, my personal interaction time has been minimal. Thus, I have come to absolutely adore the times that I am with people! I know that I can sometimes be a chatterbox and can be a bore, but I just love to have people around me. I am actually an extreme introvert; this can most readily be displayed when I am walking around campus (or even in the S-LC) and run into someone I know. I unintentionally show little recognition of the presence of others, but especially fail to share my joy at seeing a familiar face. And yet, when I do spend time with people, I essentially feel that I am practicing the most wonderful, although un-discussed, community with them. When we are simply in the same room, I feel that there is an implied idea that we are all busy and have things to do, but we will overcome them by one another's sides. 

3. I LOVE SERVICE! I have found from my work at the S-LC that I am very interested in service. I find myself wishing that I had more time to get involved in working with and for the community. There are so many different ways to get involved, and there are opportunities for every single type of major and personal interest! During StreetFest, I realized just how many amazing organizations are available in Grand Rapids and how fantastic the people are that work there. The same applies to each of our partner organizations that I am working with for Spring Break. Each of these people, both in Michigan and across the US, have given their very LIVES to what I would definitely dub "Changing the World." I find them inspirational and I want nothing more than to live the exact life of each of them. At this point, unfortunately, I am again reminded that I am not Superman.

4. I find intentional community extremely fascinating. Up to last year when I began a mentoring relationship (as the mentee), my life had been very free-flowing. However, as I began this great new job at the S-LC and further developed my relationship with my mentor, I have been very conscientious of the way that I have interacted with those around me. I found that I connect better with people, and I know that I seem to learn and gain more from people when doing this. (I'd like to hope that they feel the same way, too.) Because of this interest, I have thought about the idea of being in Project Neighborhood literally every day since school has started and will definitely apply to be in it next year. I believe that God intended for humans to live in strong fellowship with one another, and this is a great way of achieving that.

5. Last, and most importantly, I have realized God has placed me exactly where I need to be. When I entered Calvin College, I knew that I wanted to leave as a completely different person; I wanted my entire life to be switched around by the experiences and opportunities that God would present to me. Through the diverse assortment of experiences that I have this semester, I can see that God certainly is working in and around me, and I would be foolish to deny it. I can't wait to see what the rest of this semester and year hold for me!

Nic

No comments: