Wednesday, February 13, 2008

That Superwoman in the Bible

So one of the reasons I spend Tuesday afternoons each week at Alexander Elementary School, a public school near my house, and one where Calvin students have been serving and learning for many years, is to stay close to reality and avoid the dangers of ivory tower disconnectedness. This paid off for me yesterday when one of the students (the ONLY student yesterday, a 4th grader who was supposed to get on the bus but came alone to Bible Club instead) came up with one of those precious questions that keeps me going. This particular student has been unusually faithful in attending our Tuesday after school Bible Club, and she has paid good attention not only in Bible Club, but also during other church opportunities at our church, just a block from the school, and another block from her house. So yesterday, prompted by a hodgepodge of thoughts only a fourth grader could relate to, Katuska blurted out "Is that story of the superwoman the only one about girls in the Bible?" To which Barb, my co-teacher and I replied in great confusion, "Superwoman?" "You know, that girl who only had one penny and when she gave it, even though all those rich people gave more money, she was the one the story says gave the most?"

I don't remember our response, and frankly, it wasn't important - it couldn't match her question, no matter what we said. Off topic, out of the blue, random as anything, Katuska's question, and the way her mind has internalized the story of how much it matters to give out of whatever you have available - this seems to be how the Spirit works. I say (to myself and to you) "pay attention" and listen for that Spirit's words, and don't ever be surprised when they come from unexpected places.

1 comment:

Joc said...

I love questions like this, so simple, pure, and straightforward that they are able to transcend logic or reason.

I think this is a great example of Jesus' command to enter the kingdom as little children. Somehow this girl understood the key to the story, because her heart was open to the Spirit. I am always wondering how I can be more like that.